8.09.2007

Message board hissy fits

Funny, isn't it, the way some people come up with these wild assessments of race car drivers?

I ran across this one on an internet message board:

"I think its perfect for the little spoiled brat," said the poster, talking about Cassius Clark being out of a PASS ride for the moment. "He wouldn't last two seconds in ACT, they wouldn't put up with his hissy fits when he doesn't get his way."

I've been covering Cassius for years now. Never once have I seen him throw a "hissy fit." He's also never acted like a "spoiled brat." And, for that matter, he's never really been petulant, childish or out of control.

In fact, the only thing I can think of about Cassius was in 2006, when he and Mike Rowe made contact coming off of the final turn while racing for the win at Speedway 95. Rowe won, and Cassius was understandably upset.

It happens in racing. Guys are competitive. Guys get frustrated, even mad.

But I love the "spoiled brat" line. Almost as much as "hissy fit."

I've talked to Cassius minutes before a race, and he's always easy-going and surprisingly unassuming. I've talked to him after he's been stripped of a win for a car PASS officials deemed illegal, and he's always been professional and accountable. Heck, I've talked to him twice now after splitting with car owner Ed Chapman, and both times he says he doesn't want to say much about it, that he wants there to be no hard feelings, that Chapman has always done right by him.

I've also seen it written elsewhere that it would serve Cassius right to be "stuck" in an ACT car. Well, he doesn't necessarily see it that way. Though he has a preference for Super Late Model racing, he's also said he'll race anything.

Including ACT cars.

Huh, imagine that. A racer who'll race anything. Reminds me of the good old days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ridiculous. Great kid and they have to manufacturer bad things to say about him. Ridiculous.
SUPPORT LOCAL RACING!

Anonymous said...

I believe RMR has two late model cars legal for ATC races...would anyone else like to see Ben Rowe and Cassius Clark as teammates this weekend at Oxford? I would.

Tristan said...

"I believe RMR has two late model cars legal for ATC races...would anyone else like to see Ben Rowe and Cassius Clark as teammates this weekend at Oxford? I would."

That won't happen though. Reason #1 - Mike Rowe is tabbed as the second RMR ACT/Late Model driver. Reason #2 - Mike and Ben Rowe will both be in Halifax, Nova Scotia trying to preserve their 1-2 spots in the PASS points.

Anonymous said...

Over the years in covering the racing activities of both Billy Clark and his son Cassius, I have found that the acorn didn't fall far from the tree.

Both were always polite, professional and personable.

Bob Paulin

Anonymous said...

I'll second that, Bob.

Kalle Oakes