9.08.2007

Maurice Young sets new mark at Wiscasset

Maurice Young won't call himself the King of Wiscasset, but he no longer has an equal at the track.

By finishing 2nd in the 20-lap Strictly Street feature at Wiscasset Raceway on Saturday afternoon, Young clinched his 6th career championship at the track. Five of the titles are Strictly Street titles, and the other came in what is now the Late Model Sportsman class.

Young has a 70-point lead over Bobby Mesimer with one points race remaining. A driver can collect 10 points for winning a heat race and 50 for winning the feature, but Young still needs to at least start next weekend to be officially credited with the championship. Wiscasset uses a multiplier for its points, which multiplies the total number of feature starts a driver made by his or her point total.

Young had previously been tied with Scott Chubbuck of Brunswick with 5 titles. All of Chubbuck's came in a Pro Stock.

"I don't know," Young said about how he felt. "It will sink in, I'm sure, down the road, but I'm not tied with anyone anymore. I'm never going to say I'm the king, but obviously I'm alone on top."

It took Young 6 years to win his first championship, which came in 1999. He also won in 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2004 (LMS). His father, Bob Young, was a 6-cylinder champion at both Wiscasset and Unity Raceway.

"When I first started racing, I asked my dad how he ever won a championship," Young said. "It's a long process. Then I finally got the first one, and I learned how to do it.

"The points deal gets a lot of people wound right up. That first year, I'd sit in the lineup wanting to puke, gagging. It really gets to you."

Steve Pierpont won the race, with Zach Creamer finishing 3rd. Mike Moody and Mike Short rounded out the top-5. Mesimer ended up 8th.

No comments: