11.26.2007

Let's take a look back at 2007

Most days begin the same way for me now. Cold sweats. Disorientation. Incoherent mumbling. To myself.

It takes me weeks -- well, months really -- to come down from the adrenaline feed that is the 8-month grind of the local racing season. Races, stories, analysis, finishing orders, 2:30 a.m. blog entries... Truth be told, I'm not sure I ever really get over the post-racing season hangover. Like any functional junkie, I think after a while I just hide the symptoms from the rest of the world, until March rolls around and the season starts anew.

But these few weeks do give us the opportunity to look back at what we saw, kind of take stock of the year in motorsports, if you will. And if there are 2 things we fans like, it's highlight reels and top-10 lists.

Beginning next Monday, Dec. 3, and running every Monday for the next 10 weeks, I'm planning on running a top-10 countdown from the 2007 season. We'll start with No. 10 and each week work our way toward No. 1, examining one final time the biggest stories of the local season and some of the far-reaching national headlines, too. It'll take us right up to the week leading into the Shootout at Daytona...

If there's anything you'd like to see on the list, something you don't want me to forget, let me know. I'm sure it will all spark plenty of debates...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about another pro-stock vs. late model debate...hee hee

Penny P.

Anonymous said...

I think that debate was one of the top stories of 2006, not 2007.

TBarrett said...

Anyone who thinks the Pro Stock-Late Model thing ended at the conclusion of 2006 should have spent the summer of 2007 in my shoes...

TB

Anonymous said...

It didn't end in 2006, but it should have. I don't think that you'll see Pro Stocks back at Oxford anytime soon, so why some people are still beating a dead horse over a year later is beyond me.

Anonymous said...

sorry Travis...I couldn't resist....*evil laugh*....some people are just so gullible :)

looking forward to seeing you at BOTH Unity and Wiscasset next year....

your "favorite" scorer

Penny P.

TBarrett said...

I knew you were pulling my chain, Penny -- but it was the next 'anonymous' that got me nervous.

Is it next year yet?

TB

Anonymous said...

No need to get nervous, it was meant to make a point about what the topic actually was supposed to be and how overly drawn out a story from over a year ago has become. I don't see how it could have stirred up trouble.

But next time I can keep my comments to myself if they make you nervous.

Anonymous said...

I think the highly successful '07Oxford 250 has to be one of the top stories of the year.

Also in no particular order:

The way Travis Adams ran all year at OPS to take the track crown.

Wiscasset under new ownership.

Speedway 95 drops the Pro Stocks.

PASS booted out of Antigonish.

Ben Rowe wins another PASS title.

BES retreating further from New England roots.

Bob Bahre sells NHIS.

Anonymous said...

How about JGR switching to Toyota's.
How about ACT booted from Seakonk.
How about J.P. Cyr's wins another Act title.

Anonymous said...

speedway 95 dropped the Pro Stocks? I thought they were just making some rule changes to help get costs under control?

Anonymous said...

The future top class in time is going to be a PRO Late Model type car. LMS as in OPS and ACT are too restritive and the current SLM is out of line in some of there current rules. Like the SHOCKS are way overboard. Go to two barrel carb with good gear rule and that will take care of the motors.Those two changes will do a lot.

Anonymous said...

Finally someone who knows what they are talking about. Thank you for the refreshing outlook.

Anonymous said...

You could be onto something here. I think there are a few promoters and a few track owners who know NOTHING about racecars, they jump onto something that looks good and when that is worn out they go onto the next good thing. I think it's been brought up before but some sort of santioning body for New England would be nice.

Tenbomber said...

Del Merrit was on the Channel 5 news tonight (Thur. Nov. 29th)

He confirmed what has been said in the rumors....

The prostocks were dropped..

Merrit hoped that some of the 95 pros would convert their cars over to the limited class...or pro/limiteds... (whatever they are calling it)...hope it works out for all concerned!....they should have a larger limited class.... and I supose those teams who wont change over will end up running PASS north or the outlaws.... they also mentioned on the news about Wiscasset bringing the prostocks back....

So that leaves Beech Ridge, Wiscasset in Me., Monadnock, All Star, and Canaan in N.H... Seekonk MA. and Thompsom CT. as the remaining tracks in New England that head line some form of Prostock/SLM

Anonymous said...

I sure am glad to be moving down south next month than.