2.27.2008

E Street Band named official band of the C3M

When The Godfather beckons with an assignment, you can't simply ignore it. When you're the consigliere for the Connecticut Motorsports Media Mafia, you have to go where The Godfather tells you.

It's kind of a part of the gig. A big part.

So, Thursday night, I'm heading to Hartford. Seems the big guy's got an extra ticket for the Bruce Springsteen show at that place where they used to play National Hockey League hockey, and I'm going to be attending. You know, like The Godfather's invited guest.

It's only the beginning.

From there it's off to the Speedway EXPO in Springfield, Mass., where on Saturday morning The Godfather and I are going to regal scores of interested racers and teams with tales of how to get their tales told in the newspaper. And in magazines. And on the internet (well, actually, that last one's an easy one -- they've just got to shell out for it. oops, sorry, couldn't resist...). Then on Sunday, they hand out the Speedy awards, where Godfather and I are finalists for the same media award.

Naturally, I can't win. If I did, wouldn't he then have to 'off' me?

So, while I'l be "Working on the Highway" all weekend in the place I affectionately refer to as the "Badlands," it won't be all for naught. It'll be like being at a "County Fair" and when it's done, I'll be back in Maine, a little "Further On Up The Road."

Hey, I know it wasn't my best effort, but it was worth a shot....

You know, I got to thinking...

- After going to Daytona, I realized that New Hampshire Motor Speedway fans know nothing about what it means for a facility to be "fan friendly."

- NASCAR really botched it bad at California last weekend. Wet tracks, wet conditions are a recipe for disaster -- as much now as ever.

- What do Kasey Kahne, Kurt Busch and Matt Kenseth have in common? Not one of them has a personality. Heck, Jimmie Johnson seems downright loosey-goosey compared to Kahne, et al...

5 comments:

Mike Lange said...

You lucky dog! One of my favorite CDs is Springsteen's live performance in Dublin. I always said I'd like to see him in person before I take my dirt nap.

I'll have to start looking for concerts with a senior citizen discount!

See you on the circuit.

Anonymous said...

Springsteen in concert! Amazing!
I thought you were a U2 fan?

TBarrett said...

Wow. Somebody knows me way too well...

They Springsteen and U2 are 1 and 2 on the list...

TB

Anonymous said...

What U2 is number 2? I can't believe it! I never once heard you say you liked Springsteen when we dated in college. You actually made me a U2 fan! If I remember correctly you were also a huge hockey fan back then.

I stumbled across your blog while researching a work project. Glad to see you are doing so well - Keep up the good work!

TBarrett said...

Dated in college? Work projects? Made someone a U2 fan?

Me?

I must be the man... Well, now you've got to email me. It's only right... cooperdoit@netzero.net...

TB