3.07.2008

Spin control

A couple of thoughts on traction control devices in the American-Canadian Tour world.

(Not) suprisingly these days, if you mention either ACT or PASS somewhere, you’re going to get hate mail. I’m a firm believer that if I wrote that PASS is donating all of its proceeds this year to children’s cancer research, some Late Model fan somewhere would suggest they’re only doing it to hide the fact that 16 cars showed up for a race at Speedway 95.

And then they’d tell me that ACT tried that last year, and it didn’t work because racing’s too expensive and the shock package on the bank truck wasn’t cost-effective.

Here’s the point about traction control in ACT: It’s bad. But, it’s bad everywhere — all tours, all tracks have some type of problem with the device. To point out that the devices have been sold to ACT teams is not an indictment of ACT racing.

In a perverse sort of way, it’s just the opposite.

Often criticized for catering too much to Joe Racer, in its rules and spending restrictions, traction control and gasoline tampering show that ACT is as much “real stock-car racing” as anything else. I think the idea that Late Models benefit from traction control also dispels the notion that you can’t spin the tires on an ACT car. Doesn’t it?

3 comments:

Andy B said...

Just from my perspective I really didn't view your comments as a slam to Late Model racing or ACT in general. And I didn't mean to insinuate that your reporting on the subject was poor; it was just the lack of any names being mentioned (especially who is selling the devices)that made it seem like a collection of rumors rather than a statement of fact.

Look, this isn't like HGH or steroids - it's not illegal for people to sell traction control devices. While I can understand why sources remain unnamed, I don't understand why the speed shop owners who sell the devices are nameless as well. Everyone has to make choices, and if there are people out there who choose to sell racers everything under the sun to try and make their cars faster by circumventing the rules(including, but not limited to traction control & tire softener) then that's their business decision and they shouldn't be afraid of a little public scrutiny.

To me, this has the feel of the steroid scandal in major league sports (but on a smaller scale) where there is a lot of innuendo and whispers, but little in the way of facts, and for most aspects of this traction control issue I really don’t think that’s necessary. It’s laughable to think that car builders are hiding behind some sort of “client privilege”, which even if there was some basis for that claim wouldn’t let them off the hook as far as whether they are selling such devices.

I’m not naive enough to think there aren’t any Late Model teams trying to break rules to get an advantage. The stakes have gotten quite high in the last few years for that division and inherently cheating is a part of racing just like green & checkered flags. I just think a little more “meat” should be added to such reports.

Travis, if you were to remove your name from those comments and just post them anonymously on a web board somewhere, how would they be any different than the thousands of unsubstantiated rumors floating around in cyberspace everyday?

If there really is fire where there is smoke, hopefully officials will take notice and make examples out of anyone who gets caught. Ask Jim Cilley , Chris Michaud or Brian Hoar if ACT looks the other way when race teams try to bend the rule books.

And believe me, the last place I would ever want to go is that journalistic purgatory known as “Speed 51" - LOL.

Please continue with all the good work you’ve done - it gets people to think & keeps them on their toes!

Marco said...

BSR advertises them on its' web site. BSR is not in New England, but a lot of local money goes there.

http://www.bsrproducts.com/index.php?cPath=38

I'd gladly wager that these little units have been shoved into more than one racer's shorts during the cool-down lap.

TBarrett said...

I think that's exactly the point, Andy.

My name is never removed from my posts, and they aren't posted on an anonymous web board somewhere. Credibility is something I take very seriously.

It's why I defended myself (probably to a fault) when the Speed 51 gang called me out on the PR story, and it's the only thing reporters have to run with.

Granted, not all reporters hold tightly enough to their credibility. That's their choice -- but it's not mine.

TB