2.05.2008

Daddy wants to drive "a NASCAR"

Uh-oh. I feel a rant coming on...

You know what I can't stand? I can't stand hearing someone refer to a NASCAR stock car as "a NASCAR." God, does that ever grind my gears. I mean, it's one thing if my wife says it or Kelly Ripa says it (let's be honest, we'd take it with a grain of salt) but when a self-proclaimed race fan says it...

Oh, man, oh, man. Revoke the "official fan" card. For life. Know what I'm saying?

Saw on another message board where someone said Dale Jr.'s "NASCAR" was going to be on display at a local business this week. Jeezum criminy — my 4-year-old knows the difference.

And while we're on the subject:

* They're not Pro Stocks.

I can't believe I'm about to quote Marco Thomas (heck, I'd venture that even Marco can't believe I'm about to quote Marco Thomas), but he's absolutely right. A Pro Stock is a drag racing car, not a short-track oval car.

It's a Super Late Model. Period. I will forever refer to it as a Super Late Model, even if I'm covering the 50-lap (Super Late Model) feature at Wiscasset Raceway this summer. If the regional touring series running the same cars (read: PASS North Series) says they're Super Late Models, I'll go with that as the standard.

Pro Stock is a northeast thing for some reason. Rest of the country calls them Super Late Models. Let's get with the times here people.

* NASCAR's done some good things regarding the top-35 automatically qualifying for its races this year, grouping those cars together at the end of a qualifying session to give them a fair shot against one another. I'm with that.

Ideally, I'm an idealist. I'd like to see the fastest 43 qualify for each race – period — but I understand that it's not the best economic model for the sport.

Having said that, NASCAR's got to take a hard stance against the points-swapping thing. I don't understand it, nor to I want to commit the time to understand it. I just know that when Ginn Racing and the No. 14 folded last year, it gave Paul Menard in DEI's No. 15 a spot in every race. This year, rookie Sam Hornish Jr. has a spot in the Daytona 500 and Kurt Busch has a champion's provisional at his disposal, despite the fact that Hornish had trouble just qualifying for races last year.

Neither case comes even close to being just.

9 comments:

Tenbomber said...

LOL...
SLM's have been called "prostocks" for years and years in these parts....Even Marco has called them that routinely in the past....heck they still call them that up in the Maritimes (where Marco's favorite beverage is brewed!)....

That ought to count for something?
I suppose its just like refering to my driveway as my "dooryard"...perhaps it's just some more "Mainespeak"?

silly us?

TBarrett said...

Yep. Silly us.

Anonymous said...

Well, when the division was first created they were called "Pro Stocks". The "Super Late Model" is a moniker that some people have been trying to hang on the class for a couple of years now. Heck, if you read the PASS press releases closely half the time they still refer to them as Pro Stocks.

If people really hate that name they should have spoken up back in '79, not try and revise history now.

What is really silly is when these "Super Duper" people try and hang the same tile on dirt cars - most of those folks don't want anything to do with "Super".

“Super Late Models” is such an ugly name, and it seems hokey too. It's Pro Stocks for me!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Andy on this one. Anybody that I've talked to you's been following racing for any period of time around here calls them Pro Stocks. Of course, most of these same people still refer to NA$CAR's big division as Winston Cup.

Anonymous said...

Back in the day these cars use to be call late model sportmen. pro-stocks were a southern new england car. I remember way back at Oxford in the days of the open comps when the pro-stocks would comme up from Mass. and Conn. to run. Over the years the Maine cars changed into what we have today. For me they will always be pro-stocks but at the same time I can understand the SLM tag as these cars are a step up from the late modle stocks that most tracks now run.

Anonymous said...

thats the problem with prostocks today they become to expencive for the average joe to run. if they would cut the cost in a few spots more guy could have a chance to compete thats all they ask for.as they went from late model sportsman to prostocks the prices just kept getting higher

Anonymous said...

Up here in the Maritimes they are called Pro Stocks, simply because when the Scotia/Oxford merger and the IPSC came along, the former "Late Model" tag was dropped. When the CARQUEST Pro Stock Tour started, I think it would have been too hard to change the name back, for the casual fan, since it was still the same drivers with the same cars. But the rules up here are much tighter... they can never be called "Super" Late Models. They won't let you do anything to them that would make them "Super"... brakes, shocks, ugly rails on the bodies, etc. Maybe that's why there are 30 at every race.

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, if you took a Seekonk legal Pro Stock to New Smyrna this week, you would probably not run it in the Super Late Model class. It would probably fit more into either the Crate/ASA Late Model or regular Late Model classes. It seems like they have a boderline Thompson World Series going on down there for 8 or 9 straight nights now. I used to have a program from one of the ealry 80's New Smyrna speedweeks and I think they only had 3 divisons:Late Models, Mods, and one of the local support classes. Now they have 3 types of Modifieds and 3 types of Late Models alone.
JMB

Anonymous said...

And as far as I knew the car count wasnt very good in recent years. Can anyone confirm this?