2.06.2008

Following the pack

So, if a group of Mainers can head to Florida for Speedweeks, then so can I.

Jay Cushman has been fielding cars in New Smyrna's World Series of Asphalt Racing for years now, and he's taking young Maine driver Trevor Sanborn with him this year. 2-time PASS North Series champion Johnny Clark is there working as a crew chief for Louie Mechalides' Super Late Model effort. Clark's usual crew chief, Robert Green, is heading down to work with Cushman.

I figure if they can do it, so can I.

I've never been to Daytona, but I will be there for the 500. I hear it's a pretty big deal. We'll see.

I know this much — I'm as excited for New Smyrna as I am for Daytona. From people who have been to both, I'm hearing that I'm not too far off the mark for that sentiment.

I know it's supposed to snow here every day this week. I also know it's been in the 80s all week in eastern Florida. I'm not one to shy away from old man winter, but I admit it's probably going to feel nice to throw on a t-shirt and a pair of shorts come Friday afternoon. Did I mention the flip-flops?

Then it's 10 days of covering racing's rock stars. When I told Oxford Plains Speedway owner Bill Ryan that I was going to be there for 10 days, he asked if I knew a good divorce lawyer.

Funny. I get that.

Beaches. Stock cars. The Daytona 500.

Do I even need to be married anymore?

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Have fun and keep the rest of us stuck in "Winter" well informed of the goings on at both places...can't wait to read! Just try not to mention the warm weather TOO much :) unless you're freezing at New Smyrna which I've heard happens :)