6.26.2007

2 days and counting...

Just 2 days left until we begin the marathon weekend of 725 laps of racing, encompassing 765 miles across 4 different NASCAR divisions.

As far as I'm concerned the July (uh, sorry, June) weekend at New Hampshire International Speedway trumps the September weekend. Even though it's not quite Oxford 250 territory (at least, the old Oxford 250 -- I'm reserving judgement on this year's version until I get to see it) and the September Cup race kicks off the 10-race Nextel Cup Chase, there's something about Loudon in the summer.

Maybe it's because the first Cup race I ever attended came during 'tire-gate,' when Jeff Gordon won after taking only 2 tires on a late stop, prompting Mark Martin and owner Jack Roush to spout cheating accusations. Maybe it's because it's where I first got to interview (along with, like, 135 of my closest friends) Richard Petty. Maybe it's because of the sheer size of it all -- 100,000 fans, the biggest teams in racing, Cup, Busch, North and Mod cars all in one place.

Whatever it is, the energy sucks me up every time. I work, work, work, stay up late and get up early, and gleefully chase stories that will be old news an hour later. And with this whole blog thing now, wow. Sky's the limit.

Can't wait to update, analyze and immerse myself.

No comments: