6.22.2007

Bellefleur finds his voice

Gary Bellefleur wanted to stay in racing anyway he could. Now, the Stetson racer just tries hard to balance his schedule every weekend.

Bellefleur is the track announcer at Unity Raceway, but he also competes regularly on the PASS North Series and part-time at Speedway 95 in Hermon. In last Sunday’s DNK Select 150, Bellefleur finished 16th in the 24-car field.

The Pro Stock driver typically calls races Friday nights at Unity before running either at Speedway 95 on Saturdays or running the PASS race somewhere else.

“When I was racing (at Unity) they always said I wouldn’t say (crap) if I had a mouthful of it,” Bellefleur said with a laugh. “But I tried out on the microphone and they hired me on the spot.”

Bellefleur applied for the position at Unity after they abandoned the Pro Stock division in the fall of 2005.

“At the time, money was getting tight and the Pro Stocks looked like they were going away,” Bellefleur said. “I just wanted to find something so I could stay involved in racing.

“Sometimes I miss the racing part of it, but the extra income helps out. If nothing else, it buys me one more tire a week.”

Read the whole story in today's Kennebec Journal.

No comments: