6.20.2007

It's a girl, now go race

Funny thing that parenthood.

It's also been a hot topic with two athletes with magnificant star power embarking on fatherhood for the first time in Jeff Gordon and Tiger Woods. One popular theory among the media-types and talk-show mongrels is whether or not either of these two will "lose focus" or become "less motivated" now that they're dads to a couple of little girls.

Wowsers.

I'm a competitive person by nature. I don't like losing a story anymore or less than I like losing at NASCAR 07 on the old PlayStation. Most people who know me would tell you I'm one of the most competitive people they've ever met, and yet that doesn't even put me on the same planet as world-class athletes like Gordon and Woods.
These guys are who they are because they are some of the most driven (pun intended), intense and focused competitors in the world. They win races and tournaments and championships because they're not willing to let anything stand in the way of their craft. Right or wrong, that includes wives, children and extended family.
Being a father of two now, I can tell you that my motivation to succeed professionally went even higher once I was "Dad." Part of it is being a role model, certainly. Someday, I want my kids to see me and be proud of my abilities and work ethic.
And I'm not even Jeff Gordon. Or Tiger Woods. Heck, I'm not even Justin Labonte or Casey Martin.
Seems Jeff and Tiger aren't going to let up at all now. In fact, if I were the rest of the field -- once a couple of sleep-deprived weeks pass -- I'd prepare for new and improved versions of both.
Gulp.

No comments: