7.21.2007

Hey, look, the Oxford 250 is just 19 hours away

Some thoughts while watching the True Value Modified Series race through its heat races in advance of the Maine-ly Action Sports 100 later tonight...

* Modified racing takes me back to my days as a cub reporter at a little daily newspaper in the northwest corner of Rhode Island. Used to cover the SK Modifieds at Thompson International Speedway every Thursday night, and hit more than my share of NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour events throughout Connecticut. Like a feature race under the lights at Oxford Plains Speedway, nothing says summer racing to me like watching a Modified race in the 90-degree summer heat.

* Patrick Laperle took the No. 24 Lux Enterprises car normally piloted by Mike Rowe out during Saturday's final TD Banknorth 250 practice. Then, Laperle took the car through technical inspection at the end of the day. Interesting, considering Laperle's own car was pretty fast during the morning practice. Sounds like this plan came together as soon as word came from Antigonish, Nova Scotia -- where Rowe is now -- that the PASS North Series race was rained out.

* I don't ever remember seeing 90 cars in the pits for practice the day before the 250. Heck, I also don't remember the last time there were 90 cars that rolled out for qualifying heats.

* The chicken tenders at this place might be the worst in the world. I mean, the WORST.

* Apparently, Late Models aren't the only cars that turn out for Oxford 250 weekend. There's so many Strictly Stocks here tonight they need a consolation round to whittle the field down to the feature grid.

* I think I'm finally getting this whole photography thing. I've got some photos, maybe I'll put some up -- a taste of the 250 the day before the 250, if you will.

No comments: