7.14.2007

Home sweet home

The application for media credentials was returned with the subject line: "WELCOME HOME." Seems the good folks at Thompson International Speedway haven't forgotten me.

I got my start covering weekly racing at Thompson, back before I returned home to Maine. I can't wait to go back on Saturday for the PASS North Series/Busch East Series doubleheader. I haven't been back to the track in 2 years.
See, Thompson is the place where the Connecticut 3M was born, hatched as an evil plan between Shawn Courchesne and myself. Now, I run the Maine chapter for the family.

I never got used to the idea of short-track weekly racing on a .625-mile, high-banked oval, but the place still holds a lot of memories for me. I can't wait to go back and see some of my old friends and the teams I used to cover. I'm also looking forward to seeing PASS and the Busch cars in the same place at the same time. Kind of a little middleweight battle right there in Connecticut, and it will be fun to see who shines brightest.
Not that this is a competition.
Then again, racing is all about competition. There's a reason they refer to these things as "shows."

No comments: