9.15.2007

How to survive a rain delay 101

I get nervous around motorcycles. Really nervous. Someone should have told Aerosmith front man Steven Tyler about my motorcycle issues.

He may not have been so quick to introduce his now Red Wing Motorcycle line at New Hampshire International Speedway.


I go into cold sweats around motorcyles. Get really nervous. Can't finish my own sentences. You know, like normal.

Seriously though, I've had it rough around the bikes. Five or six years ago, my brother had a Ducati over at my parents' house. Let me tool around on it a little bit. Then I dropped it. Never touched a bike since.

Yeah, it's that bad.

So walking around a couple of brand spankin' new Red Wings in the NHIS media center, understandably, makes me nervous.

*****

It wasn't all that long ago that if it rained all day at NHIS and you headed out into the Nextel Cup garage, you'd find drivers and crew chiefs killing time. Great way to get some interviews done.

These days, rain creates a ghost town garage. Nobody standing around. Nobody willing to talk. Everybody just hanging out in their motorcoaches. If the on-track activity stops, then so, too, should everything else.

*****

They once compared him to A.J. Foyt, another Texas-bred open-wheel racer. On Saturday afternoon, A.J. Allmendinger sure sounded like Foyt.

"She done blowed up," Allmendinger said when his Toyota expired around the midway point of the New Hampshire 200.

He did with all the guff and gusto of a true cagey NASCAR veteran, too. I admit it. I kinda liked it.

No comments: