7.06.2007

All fired up at Unity

I know I'm nearly alone in this, and I should be happier about it, but there's just no place for fireworks at a racetrack -- unless they're set off as the winner takes a checkered flag or the starting grid rolls off pit road.

I'm going to Unity Raceway tonight, where a long night with the Super Street Hight Chevrolet 75 will be made even longer with a fireworks display somewhere around 9 o'clock.

I was first introduced to stock car racing as a child, when my parents piled the 3 of us in the back of a Subaru and drove us over to Unity -- of all places -- for racing and fireworks. I was hooked, on the racing, not the pyrotechnics. Me, I just think fireworks pale in comparison to the speed, the sounds and the colors of race cars zipping across a .333-mile asphalt track.

I'm crazy that way.

Call it full circle that over 20 years later, I'm going back to that dusty little track for some racing and fireworks. Of course, in those days, I wished the racing would never end. Now, I just want them to be over so I can make deadline.

Huh.

No comments: