7.07.2007

More than blind faith for fans

I'm a die-hard Red Sox fan, good, bad and ugly.

When Coco Crips hits a grand slam, I roundly proclaim him the greatest power-hitting center fielder the game has ever seen. And when Manny Delcarmen whiffs Sammy Sosa with a little high cheddar, I write him onto every All-Star ballot I can find and begin designing his Cooperstown bust.

Of course, even with an 11-game lead atop the division, I find fault in many things. Like, who's this chump Tavarez think he's fooling? When is Big Papi actually going to hit a homer at Fenway? Can't Julio Lugo play a lick of defense? I mean, all this stuff is going to cost us in the 2nd half -- Right? Isn't it? Seriously?!?

Why aren't race fans the same way?

If a Jeff Gordon fans sees a disparaging word about what happened at Infineon Raceway, the writer is a "Gordon-hater." If Dale Jr. is called out for his indecision in landing a new team, the media "obviously has a love affair with Hendrick Motorsports." If the Busch East Series is called out for poor racing, it's because the writer "clearly wants the series to fail" so he or she "won't have to cover it anymore."

I don't get it, and, as a race fan in my spare time, I never will.

I've got the drivers I'm pulling for, and, like with my Red Sox, I'll call them out when they're not performing or say something they shouldn't. I watch Busch East, PASS and ACT racing all the time -- at tracks across New England -- and I enjoy the products, but I've also got a list about 112 pages long of things I would change in every one of those regional series.

This doesn't make me anti-racing. In fact, spending so much time watching, thinking and writing about racing suggests exactly the opposite.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The problem is theres really real journalism. Most of the Nascar reports are ex racers, or have something to gain. Take this years speed weeks. ESPN came out of the box swinging asking real questions. Then 2 days later I turn it on, and its hard hitting topics like , Helton, a dog or cat man? Then you have JR cautions, TS being able to spin whoever he wants out, and phanton cations. Another point of the nascars media control was look at the press Kurt Busch got for speeding. Then the same year Brian france hit a car in daytona sped home and wouldn't answer the door for the police, same with waltrip. But all this is minor news compared to Kurt busch speeding. Until nascar straitens up and brings in real officials and quit controling the media it will continue to get worse.