7.06.2007

We're finally over

Boy, and it feels like I could sit through 3 more features here...

Sixteen minutes before midnight, Nate Weston of Madison puts his No. 47 in victory late at Unity Raceway by winning the Hight Chevrolet 75 for the Super Street division. He beat out Josh St. Clair of Liberty and Mark Dodge of Anson for the $800 winner's check -- Weston's 1st win at Unity since his 2006 championship season.

"For me, this is just a litte bit of reinstatement for me here," Weston said.

The race was not without a bit of controversy behind Weston. St. Clair stopped on the track with a flat tire on lap 39 to bring out a caution flag. He was not penalized a lap.

"I was hoping I was," St. Clair said of being on the lead lap. "If I wasn't, I was going to prove that I had a car good enough to be in the top-3."

It seems like forever ago now, but before that Hight Chevy 75 got the green flag, Derrick Terrell of Plymouth picked up a quality win in the 20-lap Mini Stock feature.

Sure, Terrell started on the pole en route to his 1st win "in a couple of years" but when he saw Paul Shorette to his outside on a restart with only 4 laps left he was worried. Shorette hoped he could use lapped traffic to finish off his charge from 14th place on the starting grid; Terrell was hoping those lapped cars would keep him at bay.

It worked out for Terrell.

"I was really worried after that yellow flag," Terrell said. "I figured he was going to pull me on the restart, but those lapped cars helped a lot."

"I was hoping lapped traffic would play a factor -- and it actually did," Shorette said. "I didn't catch it at the right time."

*****



Unofficial finishes
Super Street - Hight Chevrolet 75
1. Nate Weston, Madison; 2. Josh St. Clair, Liberty; 3. Mark Dodge, Anson; 4. Ernie Wallace, Winterport; 5. Mike Lynch, Winterport.
Pro-4 Late Model feature - 20 laps
1. Cary Davis, St. Albans; 2. Steve Rackliff, Starks; 3. Frank Brown, St. Albans; 4. Greg Cummings, South China; 5. Jim Dennis, Benton.
Wildcat feature - 20 laps
1. Tim Hudson, Windsor; 2. Dustin Hubbard, Unity; 3. Mike St. Germain, Auburn; 4. Joey Doyon, Winterport; 5. Matt Picard, Unity.
Mini Stock feature - 20 laps
1. Derrick Terrell, Plymouth; 2. Paul Shorette, Winslow; 3. Mike Wilson, Chelsea; 4. David Cook, Livermore Falls; 5. Billy Allen, Winterport.

No comments: