7.01.2007

Playing the waiting game

You know you're bored when you download the "ESPN Bassmasters" game onto your cell phone so you can kill some time while you wait out the next 7 hours in the infield media center at New Hampshire International Speedway.

I mean, come on. Fishing video games are as brainless and senseless as they come -- and now I've got one going on my cell phone screen I can hardly see.

It's going to make that Hinder concert prior to the Lenox 300 seem like a night out.

*****

Why do race fans always insist on driving to and from racetracks as if they themselves are in the race? I almost understand the dash to leave the track -- having watched cars race for hours, while hurrying to get hom before the middle of the night.

But getting there? On no sleep, a couple cans of Monster and a killer hangover -- with the 17-burner, 8-million BTU grill system strapped into the truck bed -- darting from lane to lane. I'm more afraid than I was standing in the Cup garage during a practice session.

I need a spotter on a radio tuned to something other than the local country music station.

No comments: