7.06.2007

At the break

Cary Davis of St. Albans won the 20-lap Pro-4 main and Tim Hudson of Windsor won the 20-lap Wildcat feature, his second win of the season at Unity Raceway, good enough to get us to the fireworks break here.

Yeah, I know, I don't like fireworks at the track. Then again, this massive break in the action has given me the chance to catch up with some of the movers and shakers of Maine's short-track racing scene.

Talked to Ralph Nason, a 3-time Oxford 250 champion about a bunch of stuff, including whether or not this track is for sale.

"You got your checkbook with you?" was Nason's response. I guess it's true -- everything has a price these days.

Greg Veinote was here in the press box. Veinote is the new owner of Spud Speedway in Caribou, which opens next Saturday with a 3-division program and likely 40-50 cars in the pit area.
Neither Veinote nor Nason, who owned Spud previously, would confirm the purchase price.

"I won't buy anything unless I can buy it right," was all Veinote would reveal.

Finally, caught up with Ralph Nason Jr., the general manager and race director for Unity. Asked him point-blank for his thoughts about the light field for the Hight Chevy 75 -- which, at this rate, will get the green flag sometime Monday morning.

"I really expected 18-20 cars," Nason said. "I guess I learned that 800 bucks isn't enough impetus to get Super Streets out for a show.

"I mean, it's Fourth of July, $800 is boo-koo money for a Super Street and there's a ton of people here. If you don't want to be here for that... These drivers need to have a little showman in them."

No comments: